Online Smarts and Online awareness are issues very close to my heart. I have recently found the following video that includes some very interesting statistics about student and parent awareness of online use and applications. These statistics fit very closely with a report recently released about Children's online use titled "Risks and safety for Australian children on the internet" compiled from the AU kids Online Survey (pdf Link).
The report is an interesting one in that it tells a compelling story about the way our children are using the internet and online resources and the what we as parents think about that use. Although the survey is only taken from 400 students I would tend to agree with the percentages published.
This year I would have talked or worked with around 4500 students from grade Perp/Kinder to Year 12 and I always ask questions about online/mobile usage and application. What was reported fits with what I have experienced first hand with students and teachers. For those interested this survey of Australian children is based on the developments and research conducted in Europe with more information available on the EU Kids Online Website.
Back to the video one of the reasons I like this clip is that it presents information and responses to questions that teachers and parents can use with students to start discussions. It is also a great way for students to ask questions of their own online behaviour and that of their friends. This video helps develop awareness of the challenges we all face when going online, the perceptions we have and assumptions we all make about what our children do. The thing I like most about this video is that it states what I have always believed and presented - 'Now is the time to talk to your kids" and if this clip helps start that process then that is simple perfect.
Links from the video clip:
- Family Online Safety Institute: http://www.fosi.org/
- Family Online Safety Contract: http://goo.gl/URJuv (shortened link to pdf file)
- Social Networking sites and our lives: http://goo.gl/rHy4T
- Recommendations on Safety Initiatives: http://goo.gl/fxEkF (shortened link to pdf file)
- Teen, Kindness and Cruelty on Social Network Sites: http://goo.gl/vUem0
- The State of K-12 Cyberethics, Cybersafety and Cybersecurity Curriculum in the US: http://goo.gl/JIaRF (shortened link to pdf file)
- High-Wire Act: Cyber-safety and the Young: http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/jscc/report.htm
- Who Needs Parental Controls?: http://www.fosi.org/research/900-who-needs-parental-controls.html
- Social Networking, Age and Privacy: http://goo.gl/ee0Vv (shortened link to pdf file)
- Who Bullies and Who is Bullied Online?: http://goo.gl/trp04 (shortened link to pdf file)
- Uk Children's media literacy: http://goo.gl/p3jm2
If you are after more links and resources please visit and join my Diigo group "Online Smarts".